Harrowing picture of meningitis ravaged boy who died aged four

The shocking photo EVERY parent should see: Harrowing hospital snap shows meningitis ravaged body of boy, four, who died after first day of school

  • Alfie, from Plymouth, Devon, fell ill the night after his first day at primary school 
  • He died of meningococcal septicaemia, a severe infection of the bloodstream
  • His parents have shared a horrific picture of the effect of meningitis on their son 
  • WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC IMAGE BELOW

Alfie, a fun and cuddly young boy, returned home after his first day at school and told his mother he couldn’t wait to go back

The parents of a a four-year-old boy who died of a severe blood infection just two weeks after his first day at school have shared a picture showing the gruesome effect of meningitis on their son.

Alfie, from Plymouth, Devon, returned home after his first day at school and told his mother he couldn’t wait to go back.

But that night he became unwell and by the following morning he had developed a severe purple rash on his arm. 

He was taken to hospital in Plymouth where he died of meningococcal septicaemia – a severe infection of the bloodstream – two weeks later.

His parents, who do not want his last name to be revealed, have shared a harrowing picture of Alfie in hospital in a bid to raise awareness of the condition.   

Alfie’s aunt, Dani Lowther, has started an online fundraising campaign to raise money for his funeral. 

She said: ‘He was a very happy, loving, cuddly and affectionate little boy. He loved Disney and Paw Patrol and he loved making new friends. He just loved people.’

Alfie appeared to have a cold when he came home from school but there were no signs that he was seriously ill, she said. 


The toddler’s parents have shared a harrowing picture of Alfie in hospital in a bid to raise awareness of the severe blood infection which killed him two weeks after he started school. Slide to reveal the full image

‘That evening he came home from school and he seemed to be feeling a little under the weather,’ she said.

‘He was a little bit sniffly so when he went to bed his parents gave him some Calpol, as anyone would.

‘He was sick in the night and was a bit sleepy. In the morning he had a purple rash so they phoned the ambulance straight away.

‘They rushed him to Derriford and took his mum and dad to the emergency room and that’s when they told them he was critical.’


  • Twisted thug, 32, who forced girlfriend to write her own…


    Grandmother Tracey, 50, was cruelly abused when she found…

Share this article

After Alfie was resuscitated twice, doctors managed to stabilise him and he was transferred to a specialist children’s hospital in Bristol the following day.

‘They let his parents go with him in the ambulance but they warned us that he might not make the trip,’ Dani said.

‘He passed away 13 days later. They said the whole time he was critical but stable.

‘There were some good signs. He was on life support but at one point they said his heart was functioning on its own.


Alfie, pictured, was taken to hospital in Plymouth, Devon, where he died of meningococcal septicaemia – a severe infection of the bloodstream – two weeks later

‘We thought he was moving in the right direction but then his organs started to shut down.’

Dozens of people have donated and left messages of condolence on the Justgiving Page, which has so far raised more than £5,000.

Dani added: ‘We have had incredible support from all our friends and family but there have also been so many people who don’t our family who have taken the time to read Alfie’s story and send messages to us or make a donation.

‘We just want to say a massive thank you to them. It really means a lot.’

This weekend the Co op store on Wolseley Road, Plymouth, will be holding a raffle and cake sale to raise money for the appeal.

Dani said Alfie’s parents have asked to be left to grieve in peace and would rather not be named.

To visit the JustGiving appeal click here.

Source: Read Full Article