Student, 18, who developed a heart infection after having his tooth removed died from it six months later
- Daniel Elton died after contracting an infection after he had his tooth removed
- The teenager was found dead at his home in Castle Gesley, in Swadlincote
- He suffered from infective endocarditis, an infection on the surface of the heart
- After having his tooth extracted in April, the inquest heard how there appeared to be no problems until Daniel health issues in May
These are the first pictures of a student who died from a heart infection after having a tooth out- with doctors failing to spot his fatal condition, an inquest heard.
Daniel Elton, 18, died after contracting a deadly infection after he had his tooth removed during a dental appointment in Swadlincote, Derbyshire.
The teenager, of Castle Gresley, was found dead in his home in November 2015 after suffering from an infective endocarditis, an infection on the surface of the heart.
Daniel Elton, 18, (pictured in hospital) died after contracting a deadly infection after he had his tooth removed during a dental appointment in Swadlincote, Derbyshire
His baffled doctor said Daniel’s condition was extremely rare and he often wakes up in the night wondering if there was something he could have done to spot the signs.
The issue began when the student, from Castle Gresley, in Swadlincote, Derbyshire, visited the Delph Dental Practice in March 2015, where he complained about pain in his mouth.
After having his tooth extracted in April, the inquest heard how there appeared to be no problems up until Daniel started experiencing multiple health issues that May.
We couldn’t think of a better place to announce the baby, be…
Britain’s worst 20 railway stations revealed – with…
Share this article
He told doctors he had lost weight and complained about a lack of appetite, dark urine, pain in his ankle and tenderness at the side of his back.
Despite numerous appointments at Hartwood Medical Practice, in Swadlincote, doctors said they were ‘baffled’ by Daniel’s deteriorating condition and ‘could not make sense’ of his symptoms.
Speaking before the hearing, the assistant coroner, Louise Pinder, said a health expert who conducted an investigation into Daniel’s death and believes there is a connection between the tooth extraction and the fatal endocarditis will give information at the inquest later this week.
The teenager (pictured), of Castle Gresley, was found dead in his home in November 2015 after suffering from an infective endocarditis, an infection on the surface of the heart
Dr Robin Thorne, Daniel’s GP, of Hartwood Medical Practice, said at the inquest: ‘Believe me, I have woken up at night about this case many times – what we should have done differently and what would have given us a clue.
‘It’s hard. It’s really hard. I couldn’t make sense of it at all.’
As Daniel’s general health worsened, he was referred to doctors at Burton Queen’s Hospital for tests.
The inquest heard how doctors sent off for urine tests, but results showed no signs of infection.
What is endocarditis?
Endocarditis is an infection of the heart’s inner lining and valves.
If untreated, it can lead to life-threatening heart failure.
Endocarditis affects around one in every 30,000 people every year in the UK and four in 100,000 in the US.
Symptoms often develop slowly over several weeks and can include:
Endocarditis is usually caused by bacteria, which may enter the bloodstream and travel to the heart.
It is more common in people who have had heart-valve surgery, suffer from heart disease, are an IV drug user or have poor dental hygiene.
Treatment starts with IV antibiotics.
Surgery may be required to repair heart damage.
Source: British Heart Foundation
But medics said alarm bells started to ring when the levels of protein in his blood indicated ‘something else was going on’.
Dr Thorne said he had sent a letter to Dr David Watmough at Burton Queen’s Hospital urging Daniel to undergo an urgent MRI scan to find the cause of his health problems.
Dr Watmough, medicine consultant at the hospital, said: ‘You would think someone had a light bulb moment, but unfortunately they didn’t.
‘There was no evidence of bleeding anywhere, he did not have any red flag symptoms.
‘He didn’t look clinically anemic.
‘But inflammations showed there was something somewhere in the body.’
The inquest heard how by October 2015 Daniel had become anemic (a lack of iron), found it difficult to breathe, could not get comfortable and had no energy.
He was finally found unresponsive by his mother on his living room floor on the morning of November 7, 2015.
The inquest at Derby and Derbyshire Coroner’s Court is scheduled to last all week.
After the hearing, Daniel’s sister, Jade Elton, 22, of Castle Gresley, said: ‘I hope he gets the justice he needs. It’s been years.
‘He was so bubbly, loved his bike and scooter and loved his family. He loved his nieces and nephews. They went everywhere together.’
Source: Read Full Article