183 Passengers Trapped on Amtrak Train in Snowy Oregon for Nearly 40 Hours: 'There's Nowhere to Go'

Amtrak officials are working to determine how they can free nearly 200 passengers who have been trapped on a train in Oregon for close to 40 hours after the train hit a fallen tree on the tracks.

The 183 passengers have been stuck since around 6:20 p.m. on Sunday after the tree fell on the tracks in Oakridge, Oregon, according to the Associated Press. Passengers have been kept on the train because the town has no power, the AP reported.

Amtrak’s Coast Starlight set off for Seattle from Los Angeles early on Sunday, according to the AP.

“We have no idea how long we will be stuck, could be days,” one passenger,” Rebekah Dodson, told KTVI. “We’ve opened windows, we’ve gotten yelled at for opening windows. We can’t get off the train because there’s four feet of snow in every direction, there’s nowhere to go.”

None of the passengers are injured, but the situation has grown worse due to more snow fall and more fallen trees, Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari told CNN.

“Due to worsening conditions, area road closures and no viable way to safely transport passengers or crews via alternate transportation, Train 11 stopped in Oakridge, Oregon,” Magliari added. “We are actively working with Union Pacific to clear the right of way and get passengers off the train.”

: New York Woman Rescued After Spending Entire Weekend Trapped in Elevator

Amtrak officials said in a tweet that passengers are not being charged for food or water on the train, adding that staff are doing everything in their “power to make sure [passengers] are comfortable.”

However, passenger Carly Bigby told KOIN that the train’s snack cart is empty and parents have run out of diapers for their children.

“A lot of the [older] kids have been really good but they’re having to run up and down and it’s a lot,” Bigby said. “Especially the food — it’s not really food they’re liking. Moms are doing all they can right now.”

Crews are working to clear the track and were expected to reach the train by 6 a.m. on Tuesday, Union Pacific spokesman Tim McMahan said, according to the AP. McMahan said the train will go back to Eugene and Portland.

Despite the ordeal, passengers seem to be in good spirits. Dodson told CNN that they are all making the best of the situation.

“It’s just been like a giant kumbaya party. Strangers are playing cards,” Dodson said. “A teenager played his ukulele to kids to get them to sleep. Ladies who have never met before were dancing in aisles.”

Bigby, who said cell service is scarce, also joked about the incident, telling KOIN, “If someone wants to deliver a pizza, that’d be great.”

Source: Read Full Article