A TRESPASSER arrested at Meghan and Harry’s Californian mansion was previously convicted of taking part in an attack which left a man with a broken bone in his face.
Nickolas Brooks, 37, tracked down by The Sun, admitted he may have been “high” when he was caught at the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s nine-bedroom home on Boxing Day.
He had driven more than 2,300 miles to the couple’s £11million West Coast pad from his modest £67,000 Ohio house, in America’s Midwest.
Records show that in 2005 Brooks served 90 days in jail after he was found guilty of participating in an assault which saw the victim suffer a facial fracture.
News of his arrest at Meg and Harry’s home came after the prince had told Oprah Winfrey of his security fears for his family.
Brooks told The Sun: “It was a foggy period of my life. I didn’t even know where I was. I think I was high at the time.
“I don’t know why I went to their place, that’s kind of where I ended up. I drove across the country – I know it’s crazy.
“I’ve been told to stay away and that I’m never allowed back there but I don’t have to appear in court. I was in jail for a night and they told me to stay away in future.”
On Sunday it emerged that the bearded American, who lives in Heath, Ohio, had been arrested for trespassing at Meghan and Harry’s mansion in Montecito, California, late last year.
He was arrested by Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Deputies at 2.54pm on Boxing Day – two days after he was first given a warning for trespassing on the property.
The sheriff’s office confirmed to The Sun that Brooks was booked into jail on a misdemeanor trespassing charge and then released.
He had been found guilty by a jury in November 2004 of ‘complicity in a felonious assault’ and was sentenced to 90 days in county jail the following year, court documents show.
Brooks was also ordered to undergo community control supervision.
But in 2006, he was found to have violated his community control by driving under the influence of alcohol and not completing a drug treatment program.
He was sentenced to six months in a “community-based correction facility”.
The court ordered him to undergo intensive supervision, alcohol and drug use monitoring, mental health treatment, house arrest with electronic monitoring and a curfew.
In March 2008 he was ordered to complete a term in a halfway house due to noncompliance with his conditions of supervision.
Then in June 2008 Brooks admitted that he had violated the terms of his community control and was sentenced to two years in prison – serving four months.
Earlier this month, Harry, 36, revealed to Oprah his fury about losing his royal security detail and fears over protecting his family from racist propaganda and death threats.
They were stripped of the Metropolitan Police’s taxpayer-funded detail after quitting as frontline royals last year during the Megxit saga.
Harry said the couple’s police protection – given to all of the most senior working royals – was taken away because of their “change in status”.
He added: “Their justification is a change in status, of which I pushed back and said: ‘Well is there a change of threat or risk?’
“And after many weeks of waiting, eventually, I got the confirmation that, no, the risk and threat hasn't changed, but (it was) due to our change of status.
“I never thought I would have my security removed, because I was born into this position. I inherited the risk. So that was a shock to me.”
Meghan, 39, also said she “wrote letters” to the Royal Family in which she pleaded with them to keep Harry's security in place.
Source: Read Full Article