But Taylor Swift’s group of showbusiness friends is about to get a whole lot bigger.
She has landed a huge new record deal with Universal Music — worth around £20million per album — after the contract she first signed with Nashville-based Big Machine 13 years ago expired.
But as well as landing the major pay day for herself, Taylor has used her clout to force record chiefs to pay more to other artists whenever their music is streamed on Spotify and Apple Music.
No doubt she will be getting plenty of extra Christmas cards this year.
Industry insiders say Taylor, could have used her megastar status to secure a bigger cash advance for herself instead while negotiating the worldwide deal.
But one source said: “She has been on a crusade about streaming for a long time.”
They added: “Taylor knows she has got plenty of leverage in the business but wanted to use it to make some lasting change rather than just make more money.
“People think this might have a real knock-on impact within the industry, especially if a few other big names follow suit.”
Taylor was a notable absentee from Spotify during a three-year boycott.
She pulled her records from the service in 2014 but finally reached a deal last summer. Yesterday she thanked Universal chief Sir Lucien Grainge and executive Monte Lipman for agreeing to the landmark deal, which will mean bigger royalties for all the label’s artists.
Announcing the news, Taylor said: “There was one condition that meant more to me than any other deal point.
“As part of my new contract with Universal Music Group, I asked that any sale of their Spotify shares result in a distribution of money to their artists, non- recoupable.
“They have generously agreed to this, at what they believe will be much better terms than paid out previously by other major labels.”
She added: “I see this as a sign that we are headed towards positive change for creators — a goal I’m never going to stop trying to achieve in whatever ways I can.
“I’m so happy to have Sir Lucian Grainge as a partner in these efforts.”
The new contract sees her signed to Republic Records, a Universal subsidiary which counts Nicki Minaj, Drake and Ariana Grande among its big names.
Despite bosses agreeing to the unconventional deal, they are clearly expecting to see some hefty returns after previous record sales of almost 200million around the world.
Bea's got the Uber hand in LA
US reports told how the young royal landed in Los Angeles before clambering into a grey Lexus courtesy of the online cab firm.
Unsurprisingly the driver looked bemused by the surrounding paparazzi scrum as he lugged Beatrice’s suitcase outside LAX Airport.
Beatrice, who says she is in the US on business, touched down as it emerged she has been dating millionaire property developer Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.
She has even introduced the Kensington-based Italian to her parents Fergie and Prince Andrew as their two-month romance blossoms.
If things don’t work out with her latest love interest, there are plenty of apps for romance too.
Grim scene investigation
But the tables could soon be turned on Dizzee Rascal and Skepta – as it looks as though the grime heavyweights could become the ones being investigated.
I can reveal the duo, are facing legal action over the track, which was released in September, from JD Instrumentals. He is claiming Money Right is a copy of his song Asking Me and that he has not been given a credit.
A source said: “JD Instrumentals was shocked to see his idea and composition in Money Right. He thinks that it uses the same rhythmic pattern and instrument sound as his song and has got in touch with Dizzee to show his points.
“He says if an agreement has not been made at the end of this month, legal action will be taken.”
It’s not the only backlash Dizzee and Skepta have faced.
Wiley takes aim at the rappers in his new song Flip The Table, with the line, “You’re not a killer, you’re a table flipper.”
This could get messy.
Gaga's black on her own
LADY Gaga must be wearing black to mourn the loss of Bradley Cooper as her chaperone.
At the Governors Awards in LA on Sunday, the A Star Is Born pals were for once not seen posing together.
Instead, Gaga, flew solo among fellow celebs including Amy Adams, Nicole Kidman and Nicholas Hoult.
The bash marks the start of Hollywood awards season but the tone was subdued owing to the California wildfires tragedy.
Gaga, who has not returned to her Malibu home after being evacuated, said: “It’s still so smoky. I’m not sure when we could go back.”
- MICHAEL Buble is holding off Little Mix and MUMFORD & SONS at the top of this week’s UK Album Chart. His tenth studio record, Love, is at No1, closely followed by Mumford & Sons’ Delta and Little Mix’s LM5. Only 6,033 combined sales separated all three with four days to go.
- FANTASTIC Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald topped the UK box office in its opening weekend with £12.3million. The sequel, starring Eddie Redmayne and Johnny Depp, fell short of Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, which hit £15.3million for its three-day total in 2016.
- THE MTV Push Ones To Watch shortlist has been unveiled. Acts including COL3TRANE, Sam Fender and Lewis Capaldi will go head-to-head in a public vote in January on Instagram. The all-conquering winner will be revealed early in the new year.
- ROBBIE Williams has added six new dates to his Wynn Las Vegas residency due to popular demand. He will now perform at the casino’s Encore Theater for 12 nights in 2019. Tickets for the six March gigs have already sold out. The six new June dates went on sale today.
Aqua's Amber alert
AQUAMAN star Amber Heard showed off more than her sea legs at the film’s Beijing premiere.
The actress wore a raunchy black mini-dress, with teardrop-shaped slit in the front, for the screening in China on Sunday.
Amber, who exercised five hours a day for six months to star as warrior Mera, was joined on the red carpet by on-screen love interest Jason Momoa, who plays the title role.
The superhero re-boot also stars Willem Defoe, Dolph Lundgren and Nicole Kidman.
No wedding bells
The couple of two years split earlier this month.
Chris, an actor and model, proposed to the socialite almost a year ago.
But recently “their relationship started to become off-kilter”, a source said.
It added: “Paris will be focusing on her brand, like DJ-ing and fragrances, while Chris will get back into acting and art.”
- JACK Savoretti will be taking his upcoming sixth studio album Singing To Strangers on a UK and Ireland tour in 2019. It will follow the release of the album, which will feature co-writes from Bob Dylan and Kylie Minogue.
- ELECTRONIC dance duo Hazers are aiming for a billion streams. Adam Argyle and Jordan Riley, who have worked with the likes of Dua Lipa, said: “We’re only on around 30m but you have to go through that to get to the first billion.”
Source: Read Full Article