Brit boy, 2, chokes to death on peas in tragic incident at home

A family have spoken of their heartbreak after their “beautiful boy” tragically died after choking on peas.

Austin Hardman, aged two, was at home eating sugar snap peas with his big brother, Noah, when one become lodged in his airway.

He started coughing and when his dad, Daniel, realised his son was choking he started to pat him on the back.

But realising his attempts were failing, Daniel, 34, shouted for Austin’s mum, Emma Nelson, to help and called 999.

Daniel and a neighbour then frantically continued to try to save the tot's life and performed CPR until paramedics arrived, an inquest heard.

  • Tragic boy, 3, died after choking on Lego toy while playing with older brother

When paramedics arrived at the family’s home in Haswell, County Durham, Austin was going blue and they tried to give him oxygen through a mask, reports Chronicle Live.

The inquest heard attempts to remove the food from his airway had been failing due to its location but eventually it was dislodged slightly, giving room for air.

Austin, who was in cardiac arrest, was then taken to the University Hospital of North Durham where doctors were unable to save him.

Speaking after the inquest, Emma, 33, and Daniel paid tribute to their "perfect little boy".

Daniel said: "Our Austin was a beautiful boy and he had a huge heart, the biggest smile I have ever seen and I have never known a giggle like it.

  • Girl, 2, choked to death on cocktail sausage after breathing tubes 'put in wrong place'

"We look at videos now and you hear it – it still makes you smile. He is missed beyond measure.

"Myself and Emma were just blessed to have such a perfect little boy. It was too short but absolutely blessed to have a beautiful boy as he was."

Pathologist Doctor Srinivas Annavarapu, who deals exclusively in cases involving children, told the inquest the pea was lodged by the vocal cord and had food around it, blocking the airway.

Dr Annavarapu said that it would not have been possible for someone to remove the food using their fingers and confirmed paramedics would not have been able to carry out the procedure required to dislodge it.

Now, Daniel and Emma are urging parents to learn CPR so they do not face the same tragedy.

  • Tragic girl, 7, choked on sandwich while at school and died

Daniel said: "I just hope nobody else has to go through this again.

"If anyone could learn CPR and such do it because I never in a million years thought I would be in a position where I had to do what I had to do.

"If someone could do something to prepare themselves for it, if it ever happened to them. I can't stress enough that they should take that opportunity."

County Durham and Darlington Coroner James Thompson concluded Austin's death on November 23 last year was an accident.

He said: "This has been a difficult case both for myself and staff dealing with it. I can't begin to think what it has been like for yourselves.

"I do hope in some small way, what you heard today gives some sort of understanding of what has happened."

Source: Read Full Article