MILLIONS of vulnerable people will be told it is safe for them to venture outdoors again as lockdown measures begin to ease.
Two million shielding Brits are expected to get the all clear after experts ruled there is now just a 1,000-to-one chance of them catching the coronavirus.
It comes as the UK's coronavirus death toll hit 38,376 yesterday after another 215 people died after contracting the deadly virus.
The number of infected cases also rose by 2,445 to 272,826 from the day before.
Yesterday the Government warned Brits "not to tear the pants out" of incoming lockdown freedoms as the nation gets ready to meet in groups from tomorrow.
The scorching weather has seen many ignoring the advice already, with sun seekers flocking to parks and beaches across the country.
New allowances will see some primary school kids return to classrooms tomorrow.
But experts have warned the country risks seeing a second peak of coronavirus over fears the easing of restrictions is coming too soon.
Follow our coronavirus live blog for all the latest news and updates…
A female police officer was kicked in the face as she tried to break up a group of around 200 teens gathered on a beach.
The cop had been scrambled to Ballyholme beach in Northern Ireland on Friday as the youths flouted lockdown in the sunshine.
But she was injured after one of the yobs booted her in the face while her colleagues also “came under attack” by some of the crowd.
Four teens were arrested after the shocking assault while a 17-year-old boy was charged with a string of offences – including assault on police.
He is due to appear at Newtownards Youth Court on June 23.
'LABOUR WHIP WAS RIGHT TO RESIGN'
Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has said former Labour Party whip Rosie Duffield was right to resign from her front bench position after breaking lockdown rules.
Speaking on the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show, Ms Dodds said: “She was absolutely right to resign, clearly she wasn't right to have broken the rules – quite the opposite – and it is absolutely correct that she has immediately taken responsibility for that as I understand it, and she has resigned.
“But, you know, it is critically important … I talk to my constituents and the kind of sacrifices that they have gone through to stick to the rules, to keep us all safe, everybody has got to do that – so it is absolutely right, I think, that Rosie Duffield has resigned her position on the front bench.”
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
LOCKDOWN EASE 'HAS TO BE SAFE'
Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has said the gradual easing of lockdown has “got to be a safe one”.
Ms Dodds told BBC's The Andrew Marr Show: “There is a balance of risk here, I think anyone would appreciate that.
“In order for the sector to be open safely, Government has taken that decision, an Opposition can't take that decision because we don't have the scientific advice in front of us. We need to now have a Government that will take a grip on those big issues.”
'PARENTS SHOULD NOT BE PUT IN DIFFICULT POSITION'
Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has said parents must not be put in a difficult position if they feel it is unsafe for them to send their children back to school.
Ms Dodds told the BBC's Andrew Marr show: “I think it is really important now that we enable people to take the right decisions around this.
“That if individual schools feel that they are not ready, that they are given the support so that they can get to the stage where they are ready.
“Also that if individual parents don't feel that it is safe for their children that they are not put in a difficult position because of that.”
RAAB: 'WE HAVE MADE PROGRESS'
Mr Raab told BBC1's The Andrew Marr Show that the easing of the lockown was needed.
He said: “The reason we can take the steps is that we have met our five tests.
“We have made progress.”
He added: “Because we have made that progress, steadily, slowly, surely, week in, week out, we can very gradually, very carefully, take the steps that we are taking tomorrow.”
'GOING TO BE PATCHY'
Prof Openshaw said the easing of lockdown might have to be done more subtly in different parts of the country.
He said it will be around two or three weeks before the effects of the latest easing of restrictions is known.
He told the Andrew Marr show: “It's going to be very patchy, it may be that actually easing lockdown is perfectly OK in areas like London which were hit early and hit hard, and where the epidemic seems to have been virtually passed in many parts of the community, with a few exception.
“But up north it's still a very large number of cases. I think we need to be more subtle about the geography and we need to look at the particular areas where it may be appropriate to ease lockdown.”
He added: “Maybe there needs to be a bit more subtlety to the way in which lockdown is eased.”
'PROCEED WITH GREAT CARE,' PROFESSOR WARNS
Professor Peter Openshaw, who sits on the the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) to the Government, said people must proceed with “great caution” as the lockdown is eased.
He told the BBC's Andrew Marr programme: “At the moment, we still have quite a large number of cases out there in the community and I think unlocking too fast carries a great risk that all the good work that's been put in by everyone, to try to reduce transmission may be lost.
“So we do need to proceed with great, great care at this point.”
Asked if the Government is going too fast, he said: “I think there is a pretty unanimous message now that we need to take this slowly and go step by step. We need to evaluate the effect of each step before we move to the next one. I don't hear any great dissent amongst the amongst the advisers who are speaking in public at the moment.”
LABOUR MP QUITS AFTER FLOUTING LOCKDOWN
Labour MP Rosie Duffield has quit her frontbench role after she admitted breaking lockdown rules.
The MP for Canterbury stood down as a party whip and apologised after confirming she met her partner while they were living separately, in breach of coronavirus restrictions.
The Mail on Sunday said she went from a long walk in her constituency with married father-of-three James Routh, a TV director, in April and admitted he visited her constituency home.
Mr Routh has since moved into the MP's London flat after separating from his wife, according to the Mail On Sunday.
In a statement Ms Duffield said: “My partner and I have been attempting to navigate a difficult personal situation as responsibly as possible.
“I apologise that during that process, we breached the guidelines.
“A relationship breakdown is difficult at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic.
“I hope people can understand why I took the steps I did and know that I take responsibility for the breaches that occurred and for which I apologise.”
EGYPT: HOTELS ALMOST FULL
Egyptian hotels operating with a reduced occupancy rate of 25% have almost reached full capacity, according to a tourism ministry official.
Egypt suspended international flights in March and shut down restaurants, hotels and cafes in order to combat the pandemic.
Although airports remain closed to all but domestic and repatriation flights, hotels were recently allowed to reopen at a quarter of their usual capacity if they met strict health and safety protocols.
Around 78 hotels, mostly along the Red Sea coast, met these rules and are currently operating with an occupancy rate of 20%-22%, said the ministry official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The government said it aimed to increase the permitted occupancy rate of hotels to 50% in June. Tourism is one of the country's main sources of foreign currency and accounts for 5% of GDP.
INDIA: INFECTIONS HIT RECORD HIGH
India reported more than 8,000 new cases of the coronavirus in a single day, another record high that topped the deadliest week in the country.
Confirmed infections have risen to 182,143, with 5,164 fatalities, including 193 in the last 24 hours, the Health Ministry said Sunday.
Overall, more than 60% of the virus fatalities have been reported from only two states Maharashtra, the financial hub, and Gujarat, the home state of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
TUGENDHAT 'UNDERSTANDS FRUSTRATION' OVER CUMMINGS
Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee and Tory MP Tom Tugendhat has said he understands the public's frustrations over the Dominic Cummings situation.
Asked about the PM's aid on Sky's Ridge on Sunday, he said: “The Prime Minister has made his decision.
“You know, you can see the effect of it, you don't need me to tell you, you can see how people have reacted to it and I've written to the people I'm privileged enough to represent to give them my views.”
Asked what he told his constituents, Mr Tugendhat added: “I said I can understand the frustration but it is fundamentally up to the Prime Minister and it is going to be up to all of us to express our views.”
He added that “this is not the first time I've had moments of frustration with my own Government” but that the purpose of the Government “is to serve the interests of the people, not get wrapped up in HR disputes”.
'WE CAN'T BE IN LOCKDOWN FOREVER'
Dominic Raab has stressed the country cannot remain in lockdown forever.
He Told Sky's Ridge on Sunday: “This is a sensitive moment.
“We can't just stay in lockdown forever. We have got to transition.”
Referring to comments made by the Government's deputy chief medical officer, he said: “As Jonathan Van-Tam … has said, with a precarious moment we can ease up, we can protect life, but also livelihoods, get life back to something resembling normal, but we must monitor it very carefully,
“If there is any up-tick in the number of cases, if we stop making the progress I described, we will have to take further measures again and target the virus wherever it may appear.”
RAAB DID NOT KNOW CUMMINGS WAS IN DURHAM
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said he did not know that Dominic Cummings was in Durham, he simply knew he was “out of action” due to coronavirus.
Asked when he found out that Mr Cummings had left London and travelled to Durham, Mr Raab told Sky's Ridge on Sunday: “I'm not sure. But to be honest with you, when the story broke was when I first became aware of the detail of it.”
He added: “I just knew that he was out of action because he had come down with coronavirus and … given the situation we were in with the Prime Minister taken ill, and very seriously ill as it later emerged, I was just focused with the Government and with a great Cabinet team and we continued to focus relentlessly on dealing with the virus.
“I mean I knew Dom was unwell and he was out of action, and obviously I wanted him and the Prime Minister to get well soon, but I wasn't focused on his movements at all and I wasn't aware of them.”
'WE WILL TARGET MEASURES CAREFULLY'
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the Government will target measures carefully if there is “any uptick” in infection rates.
Asked whether the lockdown will be tightened again if infection rates increase, Mr Raab told Sky's Ridge on Sunday: “We will target, if there is any uptick, and it could be in a locality, it could be in a particular setting, we will target very carefully measures that would apply to it so that we can take these steps but also keep control of the virus.”
RAAB: 'EASING LOCKDOWN RIGHT STEP TO TAKE'
Foreign minister Dominic Raab said on Sunday the “careful” easing of the coronavirus lockdown was now the “right step” to take, shrugging off criticism for moving too quickly to allow people more social contact.
He told Sky news: “We are confident that this is the right step to be taking at this moment in time.” “We are taking those steps very carefully, based on the science but also based on our ability now to monitor the virus.”
Hundreds of revellers flouted lockdown last night to throw a huge illegal rave before it was stormed by around 300 riot cops.
Ravers gathered together in Clapton, East London, where pictures on social media showed crowds breaking social distancing rules as a DJ played in the street.
Cops were forced to deploy a helicopter and hundreds of officers to break up the illegal party last night.
The Met confirmed today there were a “small number” of arrests on various offences including assaulting an emergency worker.
A Taser was also used on one person arrested as the group were finally broken up at around 1.30am.
A supposed witness who claimed Dominic Cummings made a second trip north admitted he “modified” his statement for a “little bit of comedy value”.
Tim Matthews, a keen runner, was reported in two newspapers as having spotted Mr Cummings on the afternoon of April 19 – five days after the chief adviser returned to London.
Mr Matthews posted a message that read: “Here's my two potential sightings [at] Riverbanks and Houghall Woods – I've been banging on about them ever since.”
He has since admitted changing the details on the Strava app to make it look as if he had seen Mr Cummings on April 19.
He told the Mail on Sunday: “I made that up afterwards, a few days ago in fact. I modified it for a little bit of comedy value.
“I undid it later, I'm sorry. A bit of comedy value even if it was really inappropriate.
“The only thing that I can definitively say is that at some point during the last few months when I was out running, I had occasion to think to myself, 'That's Dominic Cummings'.
“What I can't tell you is any sort of timeframe other than in the last few months.”
STURGEON: 'IT COULD RUN OUT OF CONTROL'
Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon said today she agrees with scientists that any easing of the coronavirus lockdown must be very cautious.
It comes after some government advisers said Britain was moving too quickly.
Asked whether she thought that politicians were no longer following scientific advice, Sturgeon told Sky News: “I agree with the opinion that has been expressed over the weekend that we've got to be very cautious.
“This virus hasn't gone away, there is still a significant risk that it could run out of control again.”
'RISK WORTH TAKING'
A care home boss has admitted taking in patients infected with Covid-19 to keep his business afloat.
Mike Padgham, an ex-NHS advisor who runs four homes, filled 19 beds of people who died with OAPs discharged from hospital.
He said: “We don’t get paid for empty beds.
“We had to admit people with Covid-19 to stay afloat.
“It has to be a risk worth taking, the risk of not doing it means the business is not viable, people might have to move or staff might lose their jobs.”
CASES IN RUSSIA
Russia has reported 9,268 new cases of the novel coronavirus, raising the national tally to 405,843.
Officials said another 138 patients had died from the bug in the last 24 hours, bringing its overall death toll to 4,693.
CHINA CONFIRMS NEW CASES
China has announced two new confirmed cases of coronavirus and four new asymptomatic cases – including one person without symptoms on a chartered flight from Germany.
The two confirmed cases in Shandong province on Saturday compared with four cases the day before, data from the country's health authority showed.
The National Health Commission (NHC) confirmed three new asymptomatic cases on Saturday.
ON THE DOLE
Chancellor Rishi Sunak is bracing for up to two million job losses as firms cut costs to survive the pandemic.
The Treasury forecasts ten per cent unemployment and company closures when his furlough scheme finally comes to and end in the autumn.
DIY DEATH CHECK
Relatives who fear their loved ones have died have been asked to check the body to make sure, using a grim DIY checklist.
The guidance, branded “stark and clinical”, was issued when doctors and nurses were overwhelmed during the pandemic’s peak.
The Government has been urged to drop plans for primary schools in England to return to normal before the summer holidays.
There are hopes all pupils will then return to school four weeks before the summer break begins in July, though schools standards minister Nick Gibb has said the final decision will be led by the science.
National Governance Association chief executive Emma Knights has written to Education Secretary Gavin Williamson asking him to “review and drop” this expectation, according to the BBC.
She told the broadcaster: “Unless something dramatic changes very soon in terms of the Government's scientific and medical advice, it will simply not be possible for primary schools to invite all pupils back for a whole month of education before the summer holidays.
“It is adding to uncertainty for parents, but also extra pressure on school leaders and governing boards who think that they need to try and do this when actually it wouldn't be safe.”
Meanwhile, Mr Williamson wrote in The Sun that schools should commit to “welcoming more children back” as a number of councils in England have said they will keep them closed on Monday.
He wrote: “Covid-19 has made it even more difficult for some children to get the most from their education and we cannot let the virus wreck the hopes and dreams of a generation.”
Source: Read Full Article