Couple found dead at home ‘after suspected carbon monoxide leak’

Young couple are found dead in their flat ‘after suspected carbon monoxide leak’

  • Derek Hurles and Nicole McGeachin found dead at their Glasgow flat yesterday 
  • Neighbours described the couple, both 23, as ‘lovely, warm and down to earth’ 
  • Firefighters carried out atmospheric tests after police requested they attend 

A young couple were found dead in their home yesterday after a suspected carbon monoxide leak.

Police are treating the deaths of Derek Hurles and Nicole McGeachin, both 23, as unexplained after officers discovered their bodies in their Glasgow flat at about 10am. 

Today friends and neighbours paid tribute to the ‘lovely’ young couple after firefighters carried out tests to monitor the property’s atmosphere. Their two dogs were found alive at the flat, neighbours have  told the Daily Record.  

Derek Hurles and Nicole McGeachin (pictured) have died at the age of 23 in a suspected carbon monoxide leak at their Glasgow flat 

Police at the property (pictured) yesterday drafted in firefighters to carry out atmospheric tests following the deaths 

A family friend – who wished to remain anonymous – described the couple as ‘lovely, warm and down to earth’, adding that a friend of couple is looking after their pets.

Mr Hurles was a bricklayer at CCG Scotland and is thought to have been in a relationship with Ms McGeachin since June 2015.


  • Kentucky father and his two young children dead from carbon…


    Two men are killed and five people – including two boys -…

Share this article

They had lived at the Thornliebank flat for about a year, another neighbour said, adding that they had not seen the pair ‘in about three days’.

Ms McGeachin ‘struggled with her health’, they added, as emergency services sealed off the flat. 


A police officer is pictured, left, speaking with firefighters tasked with carrying out tests at the property after the deaths of the young couple, right

A police spokeswoman said officers were called at 10.10am yesterday to ‘reports of a concern for a person’.

She said the force remains at the scene ‘to establish the circumstances’ but police would not comment on speculation that a carbon monoxide leak caused the deaths.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they attended the scene after being asked to help police at 11.27am.

A spokesman said: ‘Firefighters and a scientific adviser carried out atmospheric monitoring tests. Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.’ 

Source: Read Full Article