Disposable barbecues ‘spark three-mile moorland fire’ as cops quiz two men over blaze – The Sun

DISPOSABLE barbecues are thought to have sparked a string of weekend blazes.

Sixty firefighters tackled a three-mile moorland fire near Darwen, Lancs.


A helicopter also dumped water.

Police have quizzed two men over the blaze, started on Saturday evening.

Assistant chief fire officer Ben Norman urged: “We are going to have in the region of 50-60 firefighters focused on an incident that was wholly avoidable.

"That was somebody, by their own admission, called the incident in and have since spoken to the police and given a full account of that fire.

"Whilst not deliberate, it was wholly avoidable by virtue that you don’t need to take a barbecue to enjoy the fabulous countryside.”

On Sunday afternoon, a blaze broke out on Longridge Fell, Lancs.

Chief fire officer Justin Johnson tweeted: “Please no fires and no barbecues.”

And homes were evacuated on Saturday during a large 20-hectare fire at Thursley Common, Surrey.

Meanwhile elsewhere in the UK, officials have criticised revellers for flocking to the countryside only to leave behind their litter.


Source: Read Full Article