THE LIVERPOOL hospital bomber has been named by police as terror cops continue to search "bomb factory" houses in the area.
EmadAl Swealmeen, 32, has been named as the man who died after the taxi exploded in a fireball just seconds after pulling up outside of Liverpool Women's Hospital.
Police said that they "strongly believe" that the man who died in the car bomb terror attack wasEmad Al Swealmeen – also went by the name Enzo Almeni.
The motor racing enthusiast is said to have changed his first name to Enzo after Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari.
He made the name change to sound less Muslim and appear more Western, in the hope that it would help his asylum application.
The 32-year-old has connections to both Rutland Avenue and Sutcliffe Street – where cops are continuing to search for clues.
Enzo Almeni took a taxi to the hospital in Liverpool with a handmade bomb – before the explosive detonated in the vehicle.
Police added that they have recovered "significant items" from the home on Rutland Avenue that Almeni rented.
Almeni is a Syrian asylum seeker who converted to Christianity and was once arrested for carrying a knife.
It's understood he arrived in the UK several years ago, and has mostly lived in Liverpool.
He was being supported by Christian volunteers from a network of churches who help asylum seekers, according to MailOnline.
The 32-year-old is believed to have spent a large part of his life in Iraq, where his mum originated from.
Almeni converted to Christianity in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral in March 2017 – which was the place he asked cabbie Mr Perry to initially drive him to.
It's believed this was his initial target in the terror attack.
But traffic and road closures meant that Almeni could not get to the cathedral – where members of the community and military personnel were gathered on Remembrance Sunday.
The senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Andrew Meeks said tonight: "Our enquiries are very much ongoing but at this stage we strongly believe that the deceased is 32-year-old Emad Al Swealmeen.
"Al Swealmeen is connected to both the Rutland Avenue and Sutcliffe Street addresses where searches are still ongoing.
"We believe he lived at the Sutcliffe Street address for some time and had recently rented the Rutland Avenue address.
"Our focus is the Rutland Avenue address where we have continued to recover significant items.
"We continue to appeal for any information about this incident and now that we have released his name any information that the public may have about Al Swealmeen no matter how small may be of great assistance to us."
The terrorist, who took a taxi to a hospital carrying a homemade bomb was "from the Middle East and was unknown to MI5".
Armed police swooped on Liverpool Women's Hospital just before 11am yesterday after the blast in a car park.
Police confirmed today the horror is being treated as a terror incident.
But he was not on any MI5 watchlist and is believed to be from the Middle East, The Telegraph reports.
Three suspects – aged 29, 26 & 21 – were arrested yesterday under the Terrorism Act.
It was confirmed a fourth man, 20, was held today by officers with all four suspects to be quizzed by counter-terrorism officers this afternoon.
Earlier this evening, police carried out a "controlled explosion" in a field near a "bomb factory" house linked to the taxi bomber.
A "controlled explosion" was carried out in Sefton Park as inquiries continued into the bomb blast at Liverpool Women's Hospital.
Multiple witnesses reported seeing the operation unfold this evening as cops continue to work inside the cordoned-off area.
A woman living near the Greenbank area said she heard a "loud bang" just after 4pm this afternoon.
Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson, Counter Terrorism North West, said the bomber was picked up in Rutland Avenue just before 11am.
He then asked to be taken to Liverpool Women's Hospital, which is around ten minutes away.
As the taxi approached the hospital, the explosion tore through the car and engulfed it in a fireball – killing him and injuring cabbie Dave Perry.
ACC Jackson told a press conference he has spoken with Dave, who described the drive to hospital as "unremarkable".
Officers are still trying to establish a motive for the terror blast and said the investigation is "continuing at pace".
ACC Jackson said they “cannot at this time draw any connection” with Remembrance Sunday events nearby but confirmed it is a line of inquiry.
The officer added: "Remarkably, the taxi driver, escaped from the cab. He has been treated for the injuries he sustained and has now been released from hospital.
ACT OF TERROR
"Emergency services quickly attended the scene and Merseyside Fire and Rescue put out the fire following which it quickly became apparent that the passenger remained in the vehicle and was deceased.
"It is not clear what the motivation for this incident is.
"Our enquiries indicate that an improvised explosive device has been manufactured and our assumption so far is that this was built by the passenger in the taxi.
"The reason why he then took it to the Women's Hospital is unknown, as is the reason for its sudden explosion.
"Although, the motivation for this incident is yet to be understood, given all the circumstances, it has been declared a terrorist incident and Counter Terrorism Policing are continuing with the investigation."
More to follow…
For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online.
Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.
Source: Read Full Article