Mother’s fury after daughter, seven, has cat poisoned by antifreeze

‘I hope they get the cruel b******s’: Social media reacts with fury as cat of girl, seven, has to be put down after being poisoned with antifreeze and she only gets to see the sick animal half-an-hour before its death

  • Rachel Waddell, from Falkirk, shared an image of her daughter holding dying cat
  • Millie, the five-year-old Tortoiseshell cat, was found looking unwell on Sunday 
  • Tiny amounts of antifreeze can be fatal to cats by damaging the brain & kidneys
  • Police Scotland refused to comment as no official complaint has been lodged

An angry mother has posted a heartbreaking photograph of her daughter cuddling her dying cat on social media in a bid to hunt down the ‘evil scum’ who poisoned it with antifreeze.

Rachel Waddell, from Camelon, Falkirk, shared an image of her daughter Madison holding their cat Millie wrapped in a blanket just 30 minutes before it was put down. 

The five-year-old Tortoiseshell cat was found looking unwell by her owners when they returned from holiday on Sunday evening.

Madison Waddell, from Camelon, Falkirk, was pictured holding the animal wrapped in a blanket just 30 minutes before it had to be put down

Millie was rushed to the vet the same evening and the family were told their animal only had a ten per cent chance of survival.  

Madison, just seven-years-old, was understandably heartbroken when she learned her cat would have to be put down on Monday after the treatment for antifreeze poison did not work. 

Small amount of antifreeze can be deadly to cat’s internal organs, including their brain, kidneys and liver.

Madison’s mother Rachel posted the photograph of her daughter holding their cat on Facebook.

Millie, a Tortoiseshell cat, (pictured) was found looking unwell by her owners when they returned from holiday on Sunday evening

In her post, she wrote: ‘Owners of cats be careful. Someone has killed my cat with* antifreeze.’

Dozens of people posted messages of support following the tragic dead.

One local commented: ‘OMG where are all of these evil scum coming from? To hurt an innocent animal. I hope they get the cruel b*******. So sorry for your family losing a loved pet.’

Another wrote: ‘Heartbreaking. I hope you catch the ****** responsible and set them on fire.’

Speaking today, Ms Waddell said: ‘It was rather upsetting. We were away for the weekend to Truckfest and we came home to find the cat not well. 

‘We took her to the vet and they told me it looked like antifreeze poisoning. She had a 10% chance of survival.

‘We gave her the treatment but, she had to be put down on Monday morning at half nine.’

She added: ‘Millie slept on Madison’s bed. She was upset that someone could kill her cat on purpose. Millie had just turned five when she was put to sleep.’

‘I posted a photo of Millie to warn other cat owners in case it happens to them.’

Madison playing with her kitten Millie in happier times. The death of Millie is the latest in a spate of cat antifreeze poisonings around the country

Police Scotland would not comment as to whether the poisoning was deliberate as no complaint had been lodged with them. 

The death of Millie is the latest in a spate of cat antifreeze deaths around the country.

Last week, four cats died from suspected antifreeze poisoning in the Welsh village of Cwmllynfell.

RSPCA officer were alerted after Fluffy and Twmws were seen staggering in the street before collapsing.  

Two strays were found dead near the same village and thought to have died from the same poison.

The RSPCA could not confirm if the poisonings were deliberate, but said it was a ‘serious concern’.

The symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, a depressed or sleepy demeanour, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures or breathing difficulties. 

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said, ‘We are very sorry to hear of this sad incident. Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is one of the most common causes of cat poisoning, particularly in the winter months.

‘The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs in particular, but cats will also ingest it.

‘By the time symptoms occur, such as vomiting, lethargy and, in the latter stages, head shaking and coma, it is normally too late to treat.

‘Renal failure is most often the cause of death, with irreparable damage to the kidneys.

‘Pet owners in the area should be vigilant when letting their cats out of the house.’ 

Source: Read Full Article