Mum’s heartbreak after probe finds stillborn son could have been saved 3 times

A pregnant mum’s stillborn son could have been saved on there occasions, an investigation has revealed.

Kayleigh Turton, 26, was forced to having an emergency C-section after contracting sepsis – but attempts to revive stillborn Freddie Webster proved unsuccessful.

Kayleigh had even been sent home from King’s Mill Hospital in Nottinghamshire – despite her waters breaking at 41 weeks and five days pregnant.

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has since conducted a serious incident report – which identified a number of "care and delivery problems".

The investigation found staff missed three chances to escalate concerns over the health of Freddie who had shown signs of his heart rate slowing down.

Kayleigh, of Sutton-in-Ashfield, said: "As an expectant mother you have faith in those treating you because they are the professionals – but I was scared and did not feel my concerns were listened to.

"The pain of losing Freddie is indescribable and I’m not sure we’ll ever really come to terms with it.

"Nothing could bring Freddie back or begin to make up for what happened – but the hospital trust now needs to make sure it enforces the recommendations highlighted in the report to ensure nobody else has to suffer the feelings of anger, pain and loss we have."

Kayleigh, who had suffered with severe morning sickness throughout her pregnancy, was due to be induced at 2pm on June 10 last year after her waters had broken.

But after attending King’s Mill with partner Scott Webster, 29, that morning – she was sent home after routine tests.

At 6.05pm that evening she was admitted to a ward at the hospital as she was showing signs of sepsis.

She was examined by a registrar and a plan for her labour initiated, with regular observations carried out.

At 2am the next day, tests showed baby Freddie’s heart rate was slowing down and not normal.

The CTG monitoring remained suspicious thereafter and it is understood that at 3.36am monitoring of Freddie’s heart was difficult to interpret.

And at 5.45am, tests again highlighted further serious concerns about his heart rate and the fact that it was very slow.

An emergency caesarean was then performed but Freddie was born showing no signs of life and could not be resuscitated.

Laura Hopkinson, medical negligence lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, representing the couple, said the report highlighted a number of criticisms in the care Kayleigh received.

Mrs Hopkinson said: "The condition of her and her baby should have been escalated to a consultant on a number of occasions throughout her labour.

"However, no attempts were ever made to contact such a consultant.

"Kayleigh and Scott have been left devastated by the loss of baby Freddie but want the investigation to make a difference for other mums.

"It’s very important for Kayleigh and Scott that they are able to raise awareness of their tragic loss so serious lessons can be learnt."

The report found the hospital did not follow guidelines on sepsis and advise Kayleigh how ill she was or that her baby’s life was in danger.

It stated that staff missed three chances to raise concerns about Freddie’s condition to an on-call consultant and accepted there were opportunities to deliver Freddie earlier.

Staff struggled to contact a paediatrician to try and resuscitate Freddie because consultants had swapped shifts and not told the switchboard, the report added.

The hospital also admitted a ‘busy ward impacted on the care Kayleigh received and the swift administering of antibiotics to treat her sepsis’.

NHS bosses have since drawn up an action plan in a bid to stop future stillbirths after the hospital accepted there were opportunities to deliver Freddie sooner.

Andy Haynes, Medical Director said: "Sherwood Forest Hospitals would like to sincerely apologise to Ms Turton once again.

"We met with Ms Turton and her family after the investigation to apologise face-to-face, offer our sincere condolences and support for the loss of her son Freddie.

"A full investigation has taken place and since this happened we have made a number of changes within our maternity services.

"For example we have reviewed practises around the monitoring of babies’ heart rates and clarified the process about how and when to escalate issues to senior colleagues.

"The trust will continue to assist fully in any ongoing legal proceedings in relation to this tragic incident."

Source: Read Full Article