Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival timeline – How tragic stampede killed 8 after 50,000 fans arrived at sold-out concert

TRAVIS Scott's Astroworld festival ended in tragedy last night following a devastating crush in the crowd.

Eight people were confirmed dead with hundreds more said to be injured as 50,000 turned up to the sell-out event at NRG Park in Houston on Friday.

Officials have so far said it is too early to determine what caused the crowd surge and urged people not to speculate.

Here's what we know so far…

SELL-OUT EVENT

Tickets for Astroworld sold out in an hour back in May after last year's show was cancelled due to the Covid pandemic.

Around 100,000 tickets are believed to have been sold for the two-day event which began on Friday.

The festival's doors opened at 2pm, with pictures showing crowds running through the gates.

An ABC News reporter from Houston's local affiliate, Mycah Hatfield, wrote of the gates opening on Twitter: "A stampede burst through the gates.

"People were trampled. Some were detained."

HEADLINE ACT

Around 300 people were said to have been injured throughout the day and a field hospital was set up on the festival grounds.

Travis Scott began his headline set at 9pm and panic set in at 9.15pm.

Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pena said: "At approximately 9.15pm the crowd began to compress towards the front of the stage and that caused some panic and it started causing some injuries.

"People began to fallout, become unconscious, and it created additional panic."

He added that a "mass casualty incident" was triggered at 9.38pm and said investigations were ongoing.

Medics were seen driving through the crowd and officials transported 17 people to hospitals with 11 of them in cardiac arrest.

Mr Pena confirmed in the early hours: “We had at least eight confirmed fatalities today. We had scores of individuals injured at this event.”

SHOW CANCELLED

A reunification centre was set up at a nearby hotel for families to find their loved ones after the event.

According to Houston Police Chief Troy Finner, organizers paused the concert when they realised how many people had been hurt.

"At some point, the show was stopped when the crowd was surging," Mr Finner said.

Read our live Astroworld blog for the latest updates.

The show was called off shortly after the horror crush and the second day of the event was also cancelled.

"Our hearts are with the Astroworld Festival family tonight – especially those we lost and their loved ones," organizers of the event wrote on their social media pages.

"We are focused on supporting local officials," they added.

'HEARTBREAKING'

Those who died had not been identified as of early Saturday.

A medical examiner will investigate the cause of deaths at the festival.

Tributes have since poured in for those who died in the tragedy.

Lina Hidalgo, the Harris County judge, told KHOU-TV of Houston: "Our hearts are broken.

"People go to these events looking for a good time, a chance to unwind, to make memories.

"It’s not the kind of event you go to where you expect to find out about fatalities."

Meanwhile, Houston's mayor Sylvester Turner, tweeted: "The city of Houston extends our condolences to the loved ones of 8 people killed and several injured at #ASTROWORLDFest.

"Organizers held the event to bring people together for music, but it sadly ended in tragedy. Thanks to police, fire & other agencies that responded to assist."





    Source: Read Full Article