Parents have told of their shock after finding ‘used’ needles on two tourist beaches as children played in the sand nearby.
One mum said her young daughter came within "inches" of stepping on a needle at Barry Island in South Wales.
She kept children away from the hazard until it was collected by council workers with a sharps bin.
Another mum said she found a needle at Porthcawl beach and she was so put off that she has no plans to return to the beauty spot, WalesOnline reports.
The mum who found the needle on Barry Island beach posted a warning on Facebook which has been shared about 3,000 times.
The parent, who did not want to be named, said: “I found it on Barry Island beach the tide was out and it was quite far down the beach so could have washed up but I’d warn people just in case.
“My little girl was inches from standing on it. I couldn’t leave it on the beach as there were lots of little kiddies on there playing and I didn’t want to risk them potentially getting injured.
"I luckily managed to find council workers with a sharps bin. I wouldn’t have known where to dispose of it if I hadn’t found them.”
Apart from the obvious danger of physical injury from used needles, there are also risks associated with blood borne diseases.
Two weeks ago mum Clara Morgan-Williams, from Tredegar, took her child to Porthcawl where she found a needle.
She said: “We’d never taken our son to Porthcawl beach before and certainly won’t be going back.
“There was a strip of rubbish all across the top area of the beach mixed with sticks etc but this was the only dry area so we didn’t have any other choice but to sit close to it.
“My son started playing on the sand and with the sticks and luckily I was right next to him and noticed it first as he would have definitely picked it up.
“It was to the side of the pushchair accessible area on the beach. We moved away from it right away and made other people aware of it but couldn’t see any nearby bins or anyone we could make aware of it, to remove it.”
Source: Read Full Article