Who is Gabriel Fernandez's mother Pearl Fernandez?

LITTLE Gabriel Fernandez suffered unimaginable abuse at the hands of his evil mum and her monster partner, Isauro Aguirre.

The twisted pair routinely locked the innocent eight-year-old in a cabinet and subjected him to savage beatings that would ultimately lead to his tragic death. This horrific tale is being retold in new Netflix series The Trials Of Gabriel Fernandez.

Who is Pearl Fernandez?

Vile Pearl Fernandez had a history of neglecting her kids when her son Gabriel moved in with her for the first time in October 2012.

Previously, the boy had been living with his maternal grandparents, but Fernandez managed to convince the authorities that Gabriel should be brought up by his mother – though her real motive was to reportedly cash in on the youngster's welfare benefits.

Gabriel's grandmother protested the move.

She even voiced her fears to police, saying Fernandez was known for abusing and neglecting her children – she had abandoned her youngest child, Destiny, and had lost custody of a son.

Sadly, however, the older woman's concerns fell on deaf ears.

The police simply didn't believe her and Gabriel was forcibly removed from his grandparents.

He moved in with Fernandez and her boyfriend, Isauro Aguirre, and Fernandez's other two children, Ezequiel, 11, and nine-year-old Virginia.

The move heralded the start of a sickening catalogue of abuse that would ultimately lead to Gabriel's death.

When Fernandez was sentenced to life in jail, after pleading guilty to first-degree murder and murder involving torture, details emerged about her own upbringing.

The court heard that as a child, her mother would beat her and that her father was in and out of jail.

Fernandez told a caseworker, Pat Clement, that she had been the victim of a mother who never showed "any love or positive feelings about her."

At nine-years-old, she began drinking and using methamphetamine and aged eleven, she ran away from home.

Reports stated that, as a teenager, Pearl's uncle tried to rape her.

Fernandez also claimed to have been a victim of domestic abuse, according to The Los Angeles Times, and was hit by Aguirre.

Ahead of Gabriel's death, she was taking opioid painkillers, including OxyContin and Norco.

Wendy Smith, a scholar at the University of Southern California's School of Social Work says in The Trials Of Gabriel Fernandez that Pearl Fernandez had been diagnosed with depressive disorder, developmental disability, possible personality disorder, and possible post-traumatic stress disorder.

But in the Netflix series, viewers also see relatives and friends describe her as abusive and controlling.

What happened to Pearl after Gabriel Fernandez's death?

In 2018, Pearl Fernandez was jailed for life for the 2013 murder of Gabriel.

Gabriel's haunting story is being retold in new Netflix series The Trials Of Gabriel Fernandez.

In the subsequent trial of Fernandez and Aguirre, Gabriel's brave siblings testified against their mother and her partner – with both of them speaking off camera to protect their identity.

They described how he was often locked in a cabinet nicknamed "the box" with a sock shoved in his mouth and a bandanna over his face.

Older brother Ezequiel, who was 12 when Gabriel died, said his sibling was tied, gagged, beaten with a belt, shot with a BB gun and had his teeth knocked out with a bat.

He also said his brother was forced to eat cat litter and have cold baths while being pepper sprayed.

Fernandez and Aguirre would sometimes force Ezequiel to join in on his brother’s beatings.

The pair punished Gabriel for playing with dolls and would dress him in girls' dresses – all because they thought he was gay.

Gabriel was just 4ft 1in and weighed just four stone, while hulking 6ft 2in security guard Aguirre tipped the scales at 19 stone.

He was rushed into hospital on May 22, 2013, after Pearl called paramedics and claimed he'd slipped and hit his head in the family bathroom. He died two days later.

Fernandez and Aguirre’s trial captured the world's attention, as the true and shocking extent of Gabriel's abuse and neglect was laid bare.

Four social workers were later sacked and eventually charged with child abuse and falsifying records about Gabriel’s case.

However, in January 2020, California’s second appeals court threw out the case, with judges finding the social workers couldn’t control the abusers and did not have custody or care of Gabriel.


Source: Read Full Article