Charles heard of Queen’s deteriorating health in urgent call before ‘everything was silent’

King Charlesfound out about his late mother,Queen Elizabeth II’s failing health just a few minutes before the public became aware, according to reports.

Appearing on True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat, Newsweek's Chief Royal Correspondent Jack Royston revealed howthe King was told the horrible newsat his Scottish home of Dumfries House with his wife, now theQueen Consort, Camilla.

Camilla had been preparing to be interviewed by Jenna Bush Hager, the daughter of former US President George W. Bush, who has since said she heard footsteps running in the hallway before the interview was promptly cancelled.

Jack says: “Charles took a call, everything was silent, and they were asked to be silent. Then the next thing she knew, Charles and Camilla were in a helicopter.

“And that was at 12.30 [on Thursday 8 September], so that was around exactly the same time that we were told.

“So they didn't wait, they didn't give Charles an hour or two hours [before telling the public].”

Following the phone call, Charles rushed to Balmoral to be by his mother’s side where he remained until she died.

For all of the latest updates, sign up for OK!'s Royal newsletter.

His sister,Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, was already at Balmoral with her mother as the other royals were notified, as she had been partaking in engagements nearby.

Royal staff then scrambled to organise a flight to bring the Queen’s other children,Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, and Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex to Scotland. They were joined by Edward’s wife, Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

The Queen’s grandsonPrince William, then Duke of Cambridge and now Prince of Wales, also joined the Queen’s sons on their flight to Aberdeen Airport, with his wifeKate Middletonremaining at home in Windsor to take care of their three children.

The sombre group arrived at Aberdeen Airport at 4pm and quickly rushed from there to Balmoral, arriving in a Range Rover driven by William at 5.06pm.

OK!'s commemorative special edition

This 100 page tribute looks back at the life of our most beloved monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, marking key events during her remarkable 70-year reign, as well as her childhood as a young princess, her enduring love for Prince Philip and her family, and the lasting legacy she leaves our nation.

This edition is available to buy in stores now or it can be purchased online here.

Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, and his wifeMeghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, were by coincidence, in the UK at the time of the phone call, having embarked on an unofficial European tour.

Like the other royals, the Duke rushed to Balmoral, however he did not join the same flight as his uncles and brother, and instead made the journey to Scotland alone.

Harry arrived at the estate at 7.52pm, with the Queen’s death having been announced at 6.32pm,while his flight was still in the air.


  • King Charles arrives in Wales for first time as monarch before vigil at Queen’s coffin tonight

  • Queen Consort Camilla has been performing royal duties 'with broken toe': 'She's a trooper'

  • King Charles' secret donations to tiny village near his Welsh hideaway

  • Kate gives update on George, Charlotte and Louis after Queen's death and starting new school

  • Get more Royal news and updates to your inbox with OK!'s Royal newsletter

Source: Read Full Article