Body of missing worker found after Dandenong South factory fire

Save articles for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.

The body of a missing worker has been found after fire engulfed a paint factory in Melbourne’s south-east on Friday.

Police believe a delivery of solvents and chemicals was being unloaded at the factory when a large explosion and subsequent fire occurred with three men in the proximity of the blast.

Emergency services attend a fire in Dandenong South on Friday.Credit: Nine News

A 62-year-old from Eaglemont and a 44-year-old from Port Melbourne were taken to hospital with serious injuries on Friday and both remained in a stable condition on Sunday.

A third man was unaccounted for until the site was cleared for entry by recovery workers on Saturday night. His body was recovered on Sunday.

The arson and explosives squad members along with other emergency services, council and fire rescue urban search and Rescue team all worked together to search for the missing worker.

Investigations continue into the fire, but it’s not being treated as suspicious.

Police are yet to formally identify the victim from Friday’s explosion and fire.Credit: Nine News

Two firefighters, a male in his 30s and a male in his 40s, also received burns to the upper body and were taken to hospital with minor injuries when there was an explosion inside the Superior Drive factory as they were battling the blaze on Friday.

More than 120 firefighters and more than 40 vehicles were called to the scene to fight the fire.

Fire Rescue Victoria assistant chief fire officer Greg Christison said on Friday that specialist firefighters were dealing with “very challenging conditions” while battling the blaze.

“The fires involves a factory that has a lot of liquid chemicals in it and it’s a very challenging complex fire to manage and mitigate at the moment,” he said.

“They’re very challenging conditions today and the wind is quite extreme. It is going to be a long, drawn-out, protracted event for us.”

Nearby residents were advised it was safe to return to their homes at about 6.30pm on Friday.

Fire Rescue Victoria declared the fire under control at about 9pm on Friday but it couldn’t safely allow rescue workers onto the site until Saturday evening when the fire was completely extinguished.

With Alex Crowe and Lachlan Abbott

Get alerts on significant breaking news as happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article