Cleo Smith: Accused Terry Kelly's alleged Bratz doll obsession

Revealed – Cleo Smith ‘kidnapper’ was obsessed with Bratz dolls and ‘had a room full of the toys inside his house’: Suspect screams ‘I’m coming for you!’ as he appears in court charged with abducting four-year-old from campsite

  • Terence Darrell Kelly, 36, charged over the abduction of Cleo Smith in Australia 
  • He screamed ‘I’m coming for you’ as he appeared in court for the first time today
  • Social media profiles linked to Kelly have emerged showing he was obsessed with Bratz dolls and had a room in his house filled with girls’ toys
  • Cleo was pictured in her mother’s arms for the first time since dramatic rescue, 18 days after she was snatched from a campsite 

The man accused of kidnapping Cleo Smith from a campsite in Australia was obsessed with Bratz dolls and had a room full of the toys in his house, it has been revealed, as he was formally charged with abducting the four-year-old.  

Terence Darrell Kelly, 36, was arrested in the town of Carnarvon, Western Australia, in the early hours of Wednesday – shortly before police broke into a nearby house where they found Cleo, who had been missing for 18 days, locked in a bedroom. 

Kelly appeared in court for the first time today to hear the charges, walking in barefoot and then interrupting the judge to scream ‘I’m coming for you!’ at journalists in the gallery.

Meanwhile Cleo, dubbed ‘Australia’s Madeleline McCann’, was pictured in mother Ellie Smith’s arms for the first time – a day after being reunited with her family.

Police have given few details about how they believe Kelly abducted Cleo or how she got from the campsite where she went missing to the house where she was found, but Facebook profiles linked to Kelly paint a picture of a deeply strange personality.

Kelly used one account, under the moniker ‘Bratz DeLuca’, to detail his obsession with Bratz fashion dolls – including images of a room in his house filled with girls’ toys and pictures of himself driving around town carrying them.

‘I love my dolls’, he wrote in one post, while another said: ‘I love taking my dolls for drive arounds and doing their hair and taking selfies in public.’ In a third, he described himself as ‘mamma’s little brat’.

Via several linked profiles, Kelly claimed to be the father of several children including at least one young daughter – though neighbours say he was childless.

Terence Darrel Kelly, 36, has been charged with abducting four-year-old Cleo Smith in Australia, as social media profiles detail his obsession with Bratz dolls

Kelly appears to have controlled several social media profiles on which he detailed his obsession with the toys, including this image which he captioned: ‘Nothing beats chilling at home with my Bratz dolls’

One piece of footage showed what appears to be a room in Kelly’s house filled with the dolls, many of which were still in their original packaging 

As well as Bratz dolls, photos show Kelly was a collector of many other children’s toys including Disney princesses (left)

Kelly was charged as Cleo was pictured smiling in mother Ellie’s arms, the first time the pair have been seen hugging since she was rescued 

Calls to give $1m reward to neighbour who spotted suspect buying nappies 

Campaigners are calling for a $1million reward offered for information on the whereabouts of Cleo Smith to be given to a man who spotted the suspect buying nappies days before she was found alive.

Henry Dodd, who lives on the same street as prime suspect Terry Kelly, says he spotted the 36-year-old buying Kimbies – a popular nappy brand – in a nearby supermarket earlier this week despite not having children.

He also detailed how Kelly’s behaviour had changed in recent weeks, saying he had been speeding around the neighbourhood in his car and had moved his dogs from the back garden to the front.

‘The other day, I think it was Monday, we saw him buying Kimbies in Woolworths but we didn’t click on why he was buying them or who he was buying them for,’ he said.

‘Up until now…’ 

Mr Dodd added: ‘He’s been acting a bit strange lately,’ Mr Dodd added. ‘He will get in his car, drive that fast.

‘He doesn’t have his dogs at the front [normally], he has his dogs out the back, but through this week he had his dogs out the front and he has been acting weird.’ 

One of the social media accounts linked to Kelly even followed Cleo’s mother Ellie Smith, who used her profile to beg for help finding her missing four-year-old after she disappeared on October 16. 

Police have refused to comment on the images, but previously said that Cleo was playing with toys when she was found.

Detectives have also released audio of the moment Cleo was found, though refused to release video footage of the inside of Kelly’s house for fear of prejudicing the upcoming trial.  

On the tape, officers can be heard using a battering ram and crowbars to force open the door of a dilapidated house in a northern suburb of Carnarvon before one officer can be heard saying: ‘We got her’.

‘Hey Bubby’ says another, as a third can be heard saying hello to the toddler.

A voice since identified as detective Cameron Blaine, one of the lead investigators, then asks the girl for her name three times. 

Eventually she replies: ‘M-my name is Cleo.’ 

Video footage then captures the rest of the rescue, showing how Cleo was taken outside the property resting on the shoulder of one officer as Blaine asks her whether she is OK.

When the girl smiles and nods, he tells her: ‘We’re going to take you to see your mummy and daddy, OK?’ 

The sound clip was released as Cleo and her family met with Western Australia Premier Mark McGowan.

Cleo’s stepfather Jake greeted the premier wearing freshly-painted white nail polish, believed to have been applied by the toddler in honour of the special visit.

Mr McGowan described Cleo as a delightful little girl who spoke to him about her school and her dog.

He gave her two police teddy bears he nicknamed Cameron and Rod after the detectives who led the hunt for her.

However he also accidentally stood on one of her Barbie doll’s shoes and broke it. ‘I owe her a new pair of shoes,’ he joked afterwards.

‘It was a lovely experience to meet her … she was a very bright, upbeat, sweet little girl,’ he said. ‘They’re decent, fundamentally honest people.’

Officers say they are not looking for anyone other than Kelly in connection with the case, and he is expected to be charge in due course. 

All of the windows at the home are completely blacked out – hidden from public view – and overgrown shrubs and bushes climb the walls of the housing commission home located in Tonkin Crescent

Junk was seen in Kelly’s backyard on Thursday morning, as police still assessed the home

There is no sign of any toys or children’s games – instead just a dusty bare yard dotted with rubbish and fence palings

Windows at the rundown property were blacked out as items were stored under an awning 

Cleo went missing on October 16 while on a family camping trip with mother Ellie, stepfather Jake Gliddon and sister Isla.

The family was staying in a tent at the Blowholes Campsite around 50 miles north of the town of Carnarvon, where they lived.

Ellie last saw Cleo around 1.30am as she turned over in the night, but woke up the following morning to find the tent unzipped and her daughter missing – along with the sleeping bag she was in.

She called police at 6.23am, sparking a huge manhunt that involved helicopters, drones, dogs and officers who scoured the nearby countryside and coastline amid fears Cleo could have wandered off on her own.

But after intense searches turned up no sign of the girl, officers pivoted to the theory that she had been snatched. 

Detectives then trawled through hours of CCTV footage, combed satellite images, interviewed other campers and even dug through rubbish heaps for any sign of the missing girl before a ‘tip off’ led them to the Carnarvon house. 

Police have not yet outlined how or why they believe Cleo was taken from the campsite, or how she came to be inside the locked house, just a seven minute drive from her parents’ home and two minutes from their own headquarters.

Investigators have also not disclosed exactly what led them to the house, saying only that a report of a car in the area was crucial to tracking the girl down.

Officers had previously spoken of trying to trace a car seen leaving the Blowholes campsite around 3am the day Cleo vanished. 

Detective Blaine, who has been working the case since Cleo vanished, said the first thing he did upon finding the little girl was to ask her for her name. After three attempts she finally replied: ‘My name is Cleo.’

Once he realised they had found the missing girl, Blaine said detectives were ‘openly crying with relief’ before calling Cleo’s parents to tell them the good news.

‘We’ve got someone here that wants to speak to you,’ Blaine recalled telling Ellie as he put Cleo on the phone, before adding: ‘Please start making your way to the hospital, we’ll meet you there.’

The family were then reunited as doctors gave Cleo a check-up, with Blaine saying the little girl shouted ‘mummy’ before the pair shared a hug and kisses.

‘It was really an honour to be able to witness that reunion,’ he said. Asked whether that moment counts as the highlight of his career, he added: ‘Without a doubt.’

Mother Ellie then took to social media to express her relief, posting a picture of her daughter with the caption underneath: ‘Our family is whole again.’  

Cleo is pictured clinging to the should of a police detective as she is rescued from the house in Carnarvon in the early hours of Wednesday

Terry Kelly, 36, had only been at Carnarvon police station, in Western Australia, for a few hours on Wednesday before he was taken to hospital requiring medical treatment

West Australian Premier Mark McGowan is greeted by Cleo Smith’s stepfather during a visit to the rescued girl in Carnarvon

Neighbours allowed Daily Mail Australia inside their property for a glimpse over the fence to Kelly’s home. 

There is no sign of any toys or children’s games – instead just a dusty bare yard dotted with rubbish and fence palings.

All of the windows are completely blacked out – hidden from public view – and overgrown shrubs and bushes climb the walls of the housing commission home located in Tonkin Crescent. 

Neighbours say they are reeling from the revelation the ‘quiet bloke’ at number 18 now finds himself at the centre of the world’s biggest missing person’s case. 

They say he kept two dogs in the backyard until recently, but moved them to the front of the gated home in the past few weeks. 

Neighbours tell Daily Mail Australia they still can’t believe little Cleo was right under their noses the whole time. 

‘I have kids around the same age,’ Kelly’s adjacent neighbour at number 16 said. 

‘I saw (Kelly) coming and going. I didn’t really interact with him, he kept to himself. It’s a pretty friendly neighbourhood but he was closed off.’ 

The man said he never saw any dolls with his neighbour.  

‘I never saw anything like that. I just saw him driving his car up and down the street or hanging around outside (Woolworths) in town.’

Forensics officers, working out of a makeshift tent based outside the house, were seen busily coming and going from the today with police tape cordoning off the site and the surrounding street. 

Authorities reportedly broke down in tears upon learning the heartwarming news that Cleo was safe. They say the youngster (pictured) was good as can be expected

Earlier on Thursday, Detective Senior Sergeant Cameron Blaine said police were not yet in a position to confirm reports of a toy room and the man’s alleged fascination with dolls. 

‘I think I’ve said the lights were on and she was playing with toys,’ he said. ‘That’s about all I want to say. This is still a matter that needs to go before the courts.

‘There are certain aspects of what we saw, you know, that is going to be evidence and I really don’t want to say anything that is going to prejudice that.’

Police did, however, confirm they believe the accused acted ‘entirely alone’ in taking Cleo from the campsite.

Charges are expected to be laid later on Thursday as soon as officers conclude interviewing Kelly. 

Cleo has spent her first night back home with her mother Ellie Smith, stepfather Jake Gliddon and baby sister following her 18 day disappearance.

Cleo Smith, four, was found alive and well, 18 days after she vanished from her family’s tent at the remote Blowholes campsite in Western Australia 

‘She’s been checked out at the hospital and physically she’s ok,’ Superintendent Rod Wilde said.

Cleo will be interviewed by specialist child interviewers at the ‘appropriate time’, but is enjoying playing with her sister and getting lots of cuddles off her mum and stepdad in the meantime. 

WA Premier Mark McGowan described Cleo as a delightful and well adjusted little girl after meeting her at the family home earlier in the morning.

‘It was a lovely experience to meet that little girl. She was bubbly, playing, friendly, sweet. She was delightful,’ he said. 

‘Fundamentally decent, honest human beings, they were lovely people and it was great to meet them and acknowledge what they have been through.

‘We have a way to go from here, but they are on the right pathway.’


 By Olivia Day for Daily Mail Australia

Friday, October 15

Cleo along with her mother Ellie Smith, her partner Jake Gliddon and her little sister Isla Mae arrive at the Blowholes campsite around 6:30pm.

They had a ‘quiet’ night and arrived at sunset.

Saturday, October 16

1:30am: Parents’ last sighting of Cleo in the tent she shared with her parents and baby sister when the four-year-old asks for some water.

6.23am: Ellie calls 000 to report her eldest daughter missing as she continues to search the camp ground.

6.30am: The first two officers are dispatched from Carnarvon police station. They travel to Blowholes as a matter of priority, with sirens and lights.

6.41am: A second police car with another two officers is sent to Blowholes, also with lights and sirens.

7.10am: The first police car arrives. The second is only minutes behind.

7.26am: Police on the scene establish a protected forensic area which is taped off to the public, surrounding the family tent where Cleo was last seen.

7.33am: A drone operator is called upon to search from the skies.

7.44am: A third police car is dispatched to the Blowholes.

8am: Family and friends of Cleo’s parents begin to arrive to help with the ground search.

Another group of detectives briefly searches Cleo’s home to make sure she’s not there.

They then head to Blowholes and begin stopping cars coming into and leaving the area.

8.09am: A helicopter from a local company arrived at the scene and started searching as police request an SES team attend the Blowholes search.

8.24am: Police air-wing and volunteer marine searchers are called in to assist with the search.

8.34am: Roadblocks are set up at the entrance of Blowholes as detectives gather the names, registration details and addresses of people coming and going. Police search cars.

9.25am: Nine SES personel arrive at the Blowholes to assist with the search.

Investigators, bounty hunters and officers from the Australian Federal Police have spent two-and-a-half weeks searching for missing four-year-old Cleo (pictured)

9.30am: Detectives sit down with a distressed Ellie and remain by her side for the rest of the day while other search crews hunt for Cleo.

11am: Homicide detectives from the Major Crime Division are called and begin travelling from Perth to assist with the search.

1pm: More homicide detectives and search experts are flown in from Perth.

3pm: Officers and search experts arrive in Carnarvon to offer their expertise.

Sunday, October 17

Ms Smith takes to social media to plead for help finding her missing daughter.

A Facebook post uploaded at 1:45am on Sunday which said: ‘It’s been over 24 hours since I last seen the sparkle in my little girl’s eyes.

‘Please help me find her!

‘If you hear or see anything at all please call the police!’

Police suggest Cleo may have been abducted.

Monday, October 18

Police release an image of the red and grey sleeping bag missing from Cleo’s tent.

Cleo’s biological father is interviewed by police in Mandurah and is asked to provide a statement, which he does so willingly.

WA Police with the help of SES members, volunteers and aircraft continue the land hunt for Cleo, with officers searching nearby shacks and vehicles in the area.

Tuesday, October 19

Cleo’s mother Ellie Smith and her partner Jake Gliddon front the media for the first time and describe the terrifying moment they realised the little girl was missing.

Ms Smith says her four-year-old would never have left the tent by herself.

Police release new images of Cleo and the pink and blue one-piece she was wearing the night she went missing to aid the investigation.

Investigators urge anyone who was at the campsite or in the vicinity on October 15 to get in contact with police. 

Wednesday, October 20

Police reveal the zip of the family tent, which was found hanging wide open by her mother at 6am on Saturday morning, was too high for Cleo to reach.

Officers say they ‘haven’t ruled out’ reports from campers who heard the sound of screeching tyres in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Deputy Police Commissioner Daryl Gaunt confirms officers are investigating the whereabouts of 20 registered sex offenders in the Carnarvon area.

Thursday, October 21

The WA Government offers a $1million reward for information that leads to Cleo’s location announced by WA Premier Mark McGowan.

‘All Western Australians’ thoughts are with Cleo’s family during what is an unimaginably difficult time,’ Mr McGowan said.

‘We’re all praying for a positive outcome.’

The speed of the reward being issued – within days of her disappearance – was unprecedented.

Pictured: Police are seen examining rubbish left near the Blowholes campsite in remote WA 

Monday, October 25

WA Police confirm Cleo was definitely at the camp site – on CCTV footage on a camera installed inside a beach shack just 20 metres from the family tent she disappeared from. 

Tuesday, October 26

Forensic officers and detectives spent much of the day at her home in Carnarvon, 900km north of Perth, on Tuesday and left with two bags of evidence.

Although investigators had been to the home before, this was the first time they thoroughly searched inside with a forensics team.

Acting WA Police Commissioner Col Blanch said the search of the family home was ‘standard practice’ and did not indicate they were suspects in Cleo’s disappearance.

Wednesday, October 27

WA Police forensics officers return to the Blowholes campground and are seen collecting soil samples from a number of campfires near shacks in the area.

The federal government announce Australian Federal Police officers had been drafted in to support forensic and intelligence efforts.

Friday, October 29

Police return to the Blowholes camp to analyse the area with drones.

Detective Superintendent Rod Wilde returns to the Blowholes campsite to join the search for Cleo as the search hit the two-week mark.

He confirms national and international agencies are engaged in the search for Cleo.

Sunday, October 31

Detectives go door-knocking at a number of homes along the North West Coastal Highway in the North Plantations, 5km from Cleo’s hometown on Sunday.

Monday, November 1

Detectives sort through mounds of rubbish from roadside bins located hundreds of kilometres away from the campsite she vanished from.

The material was transported to Perth, where forensic officers and recruits sorted through hundreds of bags in search of items that may have helped them find Cleo.

Officers issue a plea for dash cam and CCTV footage from within a 1000km radius of where the four-year-old disappeared.

Police renew an appeal for more businesses in Carnarvon to provide footage and go door to door in an industrial area on the outskirts of the town.

Her elated mother, Ellie, (pictured, with Cleo, her partner and younger daughter) broke her silence the morning Cleo was found, sharing a series of love heart emojis on Instagram 

Wednesday, November 3

After two-and-a-half weeks of searching Cleo Smith is found alive and well in the early hours of November 3.

WA Police Deputy Commissioner Col Blanch confirmed just before 7am AEST that little Cleo is alive and well and had been reunited with her relieved parents.

‘One of the officers picked her up into his arms and asked her ‘what’s your name?’ he said. ‘She said: ‘My name is Cleo’.’

Ellie Smith posted to social media: ‘Our family is whole again’.

A Carnarvon man is currently in custody and being questioned by detectives.

On October 19, Ellie Smith (pictured) and her partner Jake Gliddon fronted the media for the first time and begged the public to report any information ‘big or small’

Source: Read Full Article