Who is Croydon police shooting suspect Louis De Zoysa?

THE Croydon police station shooting suspect has been named as Louis De Zoysa.

The alleged gunman, 23, remains critically ill in hospital after a bullet tore into his neck in a struggle with the shot cop’s colleagues at Croydon Police Station, South London.

⚠️ Follow the latest updates on the Croydon shooting here

Who is Louis De Zoysa?

The man accused of shooting Sgt Matt Ratana has been described as a reclusive young man.

Details emerged of De Zoysa’s upbringing in a large end-terraced house in Norbury, South London, last night.

His yoga teacher father Channa, 55, posted snaps of his supple frame online while his mother Elizabeth is a local Green Party activist and former election candidate.

Louis lives with the couple at their home in Norbury with his Oxford University student brother John and sister Channika.

Sri Lankan-born Channa appeared before magistrates in March 2015, where he was made the subject of a restraining order against his British wife, who worked as an interpreter.

But the order was withdrawn at Camberwell magistrates’ court in March last year, after the pair reconciled.

Dad Channa De Zoysa, is listed online as a yoga teacher originally from Sri Lanka and once ran a free bike repair workshop in Croydon.

His wife Elizabeth was born in Croydon runs a translation firm specialising in Dutch to English work and once ran as a local Green Party councillor for the borough.

His younger brother John is doing a masters degree at Oxford University, where he is head of the Sri Lankan society, The Times reports.

A childhood friend told The Telegraph: “I knew he was a troubled kid, very awkward, very serious for some reason.”

De Zoysa has also been branded a “loner who lived with his parents”.

He is described as having a “respectable but unstable upbringing”.

A nearby resident of the 23-year-old, said he was “always very awkward, always to himself”.

One said: “I don’t think he had many friends. He was probably a bit of a loner."

He was allegedly flagged to the Home Office’s Prevent deradicalisation programme two years ago over claims he extreme Islamist and right wing views but was was assessed as posing no threat.

Louis De Zoysa is said to be autistic and of Sri Lankan heritage.

What happened in the Croydon shooting?

In the early morning hours of Friday, September 25, De Zoysa was stopped and searched by two special constables for possession of ammunition and class B drugs.

He was arrested outside Anderson Heights, Norbury, as he walked towards Streatham at about 1.44am.

He was then taken to the custody centre in Windmill Lane where he remained handcuffed until a door was opened for him to be searched with a metal detector.

A source said: “He was cuffed behind his back and given a pat down.

“It would appear the suspect has somehow managed to conceal the gun on his body.”

"However, there are rules preventing any intimate body searches on the street. It can only be done when a suspect is booked into a custody suite."

The source added: “The sergeant opened the door to admit him and take his temperature to comply with Covid rules. But the suspect shot him at point-blank range.”

The gunman blazed off more shots, five in all, in a fierce struggle in the corridor at 2.15am.

One hit himself in the neck, leaving him critical and under armed guard in hospital last night.

Medics performed open heart surgery on Sgt Ratana at the custody centre in Croydon, South London.

He was airlifted to hospital but later pronounced dead.

Police have since launched a murder probe with the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) watchdog attending the scene and examining CCTV from the custody centre as well as body-worn video footage from the officers there at the time.

"However, there are rules preventing any intimate body searches on the street. It can only be done when a suspect is booked into a custody suite."

Investigators were also looking into possible motives of the suspect – but cops have insisted it is not a terror probe.

Who was Sgt Matt Ratana?

Sgt Matt Ratana was shot dead while on duty in south London the morning of September 25.

The 54-year-old veteran officer and father of one worked at the Croydon Custody Centre, South London.

Originally from Palmerston North in New Zealand, he travelled to the UK to start a new life in 1989.

He has one grown-up son aged 26 and a partner, Sue Bushby, he had been with for six years.

Sgt Ratana tragically died after being shot in the chest as he was booking a suspect in over alleged possession of ammunition and dealing cannabis.

The suspect, Louis De Zoysa, pulled a revolver from his trousers while cuffed behind his back and fired at Sgt Ratana before two other cops jumped on him.

The 54-year-old dad was just months from retirement – he was going through Covid protocol while doing the "meet and greet" for all new detainees.

Source: Read Full Article