Horror football riots leave at least 127 people dead including children and police officers after fans storm pitch | The Sun

HORROR football riots have left at least 127 people dead including children and police officers after fans stormed the pitch.

Arema FC fans invaded their ground when the team lost 3-2 at home to their bitter derby rivals at Kanjuruhan Stadium in Indonesia.

Riot police lobbed tear gas and clubbed supporters with batons to disperse the crazed crowd.

Harrowing footage showed out-of-control spectators climbing over fences as they tried to escape the smoke.

Another clip posted online appeared to show hallways of a nearby hospital lined with dead bodies.

Local reports suggest medical facilities have struggled to cope with the influx of battered fans, causing the death toll to skyrocket.


At least 27 mainly women and children dead after trailer plunges into pond

Twist in rollercoaster crash as victim ‘had been in THREE freak accidents’

Akhmad Hadian Lukita, the president of PT Liga Indonesia Baru (LIB), said league officials were "concerned and deeply regret this incident".

"We share our condolences and hopefully this will be a valuable lesson for all of us," he said.

All remaining BRI Liga 1 matches will be suspended for a week while the Indonesian FA confirmed Arema will not host any more games for the rest of the season.

The Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) said it would start an investigation into what happened after the game.

Most read in The Sun


Culture Club icon Boy George signs up for new series of I'm A Celeb


Bride is criticized for her see-through wedding gown


Queue-jumping Phillip Schofield dumped from £1m We Buy Any Car deal


Soldier, 18, who walked alongside Queen's coffin during funeral found dead

Mr Lukita said: "We announced the decision after we received a direction from the Chairman of PSSI. We are doing this to respect everything and while waiting for the investigation process from PSSI."

General chair Mochamad Iriawan said: "PSSI regrets the actions of Aremania supporters at the Kanjuruhan Stadium.

"We are sorry and apologise to the families of the victims and all parties for the incident. For that PSSI immediately formed an investigation team and immediately left for Malang."

Arema took an early 2-0 lead against rivals Persebaya Surabaya before the away team slipped two goals past them by half time and a third in the second half.

The loss was too much for Arema fans who stormed the pitch in protest.

Riot police swept in to disperse the hooligans with tear has and charged in with shields and batons.

Police pushed fans back into the stands and were spotted clobbering them with their batons and kicking others.

One police officer was seen judo kicking one spectator in the back.

Fans then began trampling over one another as they fled for safety.

Other images showed police cars burnt out on the pitch and rioting outside on the streets after the match had ended.

Local outlet Kompas claims the tear gas did not disperse, leading to a shortness of breathe and unconsciousness.

Read More on The Sun

I’m a Ukrainian who had affair with Brit dad…he’s dumped me so I’m going BACK

Mum shares genius way she dries washing without a tumble dryer or annoying racks

Persebaya's official Twitter account has posted: "Persebaya's extended family deeply mourns the loss of life after the Arema FC vs Persebaya match. No single life is worth football.

"We pray for the victims and may the families left behind be given strength."

Source: Read Full Article