London Bridge terror attack witness says he’ll ‘never be able to unsee’ horror carried out by knifeman who murdered two – The Sun

A LONDON Bridge terror attack witness says he will “never be able to unsee” the horror carried out by the knifeman who murdered two people.

American academic Bryonn Bain said the rampage carried out by 28-year-old convicted terrorist Usman Khan was like being in a “war zone”.

Cambridge University graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, were both stabbed to death by Khan during a prisoner rehabilitation event they were supporting in London on Friday.

Prof Bain told the BBC that Mr Merritt was the first person to confront the knifeman, adding: "I saw people die, I saw things that I will never be able to unsee."

The academic had been in the Court Drawing Room at Fishmongers' Hall, finishing his midday talk – a poetry workshop – to a group of prison governors, Cambridge criminologists and former offenders.

But screams rang out during the conference on prisoner rehabilitation.

Prof Bain tweeted: "Bomb threat and stabbings at London Bridge. I’m here for the Cambridge U prison ed alumni event.”

He added that Khan had been shot dead, and that he was “evacuating to a survivors centre. I’m OK. Be grateful for every day."


The academic told the BBC that former cons attending the event had “stepped up and intervened” to tackle the knife-wielding Khan.

He added that people at Fishmongers’ Hall survived due to the bravery of ex-lags.

Prof Bain explained how two men ran towards the shouts in another part of the building.

Following them, he “saw the scene unfolding there. I was able to see the attacker.”

Describing the scene as “total chaos” and akin to a “war zone”, Prof Bain said that Mr Merritt, who was running the rehabilitation course, was “the first line of defence”.

The BBC was told by the academic he wanted to “honour” Mr Merritt, and also wanted to respect – and repeat – the Cambridge University graduate’s dad’s wishes, to “not have his life be used for political purposes to ramp up draconian policies, because that’s not what [Mr Merritt] was about.”


Of the three people injured in the horrific attack, two remain in a stable condition in hospital.

The boss of Fishmongers' Hall today revealed how heroes bravely took on a knife-wielding terrorist in hand-to-hand combat.

Innocent witnesses leapt into action as murderer Usman Khan unleashed his stabbing rampage on London Bridge on Friday – desperately using anything they could grab to stop the 28-year-old in his tracks.

Toby Williamson, the Fishmongers' Hall chief executive, said a kitchen aide, coat check workers and a doorman, along with charity workers all challenged the terrorist who had just killed two people.

Khan was ultimately shot dead by police after being pinned down by the brave witnesses.

Mr Williamson today said that kitchen worker Lukasz was one of the first to run towards danger after he heard a scream while cleaning glasses.

In a terrifying account, he told the BBC: "He gets there on the first floor of the building just behind me and it’s pretty clear that there’s a bad guy.

"He’s got two knives in his hands, there’s blood, there’s screams, there’s chaos.

"Lukasz pulls off the wall this long stick, he charges towards the bad guy and he impacts him on the chest and there’s clearly something here that is protective and it doesn’t make any sort of impact.

"But he’s buying time, he allows others to escape."

Recounting the terror attack, he said Lukasz was then locked in "one-on-one straight combat" with the terrorist for at least a minute.

He said: "This guy, who we now know by the name of Khan, he works his way up Lukasz’s pole, slashing with this knife and he takes five wounds to his left side."

Mr Williamson said that as Lukasz was weakened by his horrific injuries, two others rushed in with a fire extinguisher and an animal tusk that had been ripped from the wall.


Khan’s got two knives in his hands, there’s blood, there’s screams, there’s chaos

Describing the chaotic scenes, he said Khan realised he was outnumbered – running down the main stairs to the reception.

There, brave workers including two girls who worked at the coat check, Alla and Sandra, the doorman called Gareth and receptionist Dawn all tried to stop him from getting out onto the street as they alerted authorities.

He said: "Eventually it all comes to a great sort of showdown in the entrance hall.

"Lukasz is back in at this point, leading the charge."

At this point, he said the centre's maintenance man, Andy – who had previously worked as a policeman – was stabbed in the chest as he tried to stop him.

He said: "The doors opened, out the terrorist falls and the first one out after him is Lukasz, shouting at everyone to get out of the way, get back.

"But I tell you what, members of the public they just don’t do that nowadays – they do what they’re needed to do, they join in."

It was then that armed police arrived – shooting Khan after he was pinned to the ground by brave witnesses despite him wearing a suicide vest, since found to be fake.

Since the horrific attack, a spokesman for the ruling United Poland party has said they hope to award Lukasz with a medal for his bravery.

Cambridge graduate Jack Merritt, a 25-year-old course coordinator, was killed in the terror attack, along with Saskia Jones, 23.

Jack's dad David has shared posts calling Boris Johnson's response to the murders "beyond disgusting".

He condemned the prime minister and Priti Patel, the home secretary, for using the attack as justification for a series of tougher criminal policies.

Mr Merritt suggested the Tories were using his son's death to promote "vile propaganda" and shared a tweet accusing Mr Johnson of trying to "make political gain from people's death in a terror incident".

Three people, one man and two women, were rushed to hospital on Friday night – and one was in critical condition, one was stable and a third had less serious injuries.

Lukasz is one of several bystanders who risked their lives to bring down the London Bridge terrorist.

Another hero is a kitchen porter named only as Mohammed who is said to have tackled Khan on his lunch break before going back to wash dishes.

Two other men who stepped up to stop the attacker were fearless tour guides Thomas Gray, 24, and Stevie Hurst who jumped out of their car to help.

Khan, who was wearing a monitoring tag during the attack, was attending an event on Friday afternoon at Fishmongers' Hall called ‘Learning Together’.

The killer "hoodwinked" authorities by travelling to the prisoner rehabilitation conference at Fishmongers' Hall where he launched his horror rampage.

The Sun on Sunday revealed Khan was given “special permission” to attend the Cambridge University-run event.
The callous killer attended the morning session before returning after lunch to launch his rampage armed with two knives and a fake explosive vest.

Haunting pictures emerged of delegates inside the hall an hour before the carnage. Khan was said to be in the room at the time.

He is the first freed terrorist to launch an attack in this country.

The Parole Board said in a statement yesterday they had "no involvement" in Khan's release.

It added it he appeared "to have been released automatically on licence (as required by law), without ever being referred to the Board".

Source: Read Full Article