Police 'ignored Greenwood's bail violations during investigation'

Police ‘deliberately ignored Mason Greenwood’s bail violations during investigation’, it is claimed as attempted rape and assault charges are dropped – and Manchester United star will not play or train with the club as it carries out internal probe

  • Mason Greenwood, 21, had faced three charges and had appeared in court
  • Today Crown Prosecution Service dropped all of the charges against him
  •  Greenwood remains on Man United’s Premier League squad list and website

Police ‘deliberately ignored Mason Greenwood’s bail violations during investigation’, it has been claimed. 

The charges against the Manchester United footballer, for attempted rape and assault, were dropped following the ‘withdrawal of key witnesses’.

Now the criminal investigation has ended, the Evening Standard reported that Greenwood breached a condition of his bail not to contact the alleged victim in the case.

Greenwood’s lawyer admitted the breach had taken place at the footballer’s first court appearance in October and said that it was ‘no secret’ to police.

While Manchester United said t\Greenwood would not play or train while they conduct their own internal investigation.

Greenwood was charged in October 2022 but this afternoon a decision was made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors

A condition of the footballer’s bail was not to contact the alleged victim in the case, but he was arrested in October after breaching this term.

The Evening Standard reported that Greenwood’s lawyer, David Toal, admitted the breach had taken place, but added that it was ‘no secret’ to Greater Manchester Police and that contact had taken place for ‘many months’.

He argued that the breaches had been tacitly approved.

District Judge Mark Hadfield said: ‘What I am being told is the defendant flagrantly breached the conditions over weeks or even months and police haven’t done anything about it.’

He insisted: ‘If they suspected breaches of bail, the police should be doing something about it but haven’t – why not?.’

Greenwood was denied bail for two days in October before being released.

Earlier today the 21-year-old broke his silence and released a statement.

He said: ‘I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.

‘There will be no further comment at this time.’

Forward Mason Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January and immediately suspended by Manchester United

Manchester United also released a statement saying the club ‘Notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped. The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.’ 

Greenwood was charged in October 2022 but this afternoon a decision was made by the CPS to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.

The player, who has been capped once for England, was first held in January over allegations relating to a young woman, after images and videos were posted online. 

He was later suspended from United on full pay and removed from the FIFA 22 game. 

A CPS spokesperson said: ‘We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

‘In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

‘We have explained our decision to all parties.

‘We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.’

The charges Greenwood was facing – from November 2018 to October 2021 – all related to the same woman. 

In November he had appeared in Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court wearing a dark suit and a hoodie and supported by family members.

He removed the hoodie when he appeared in the dock to confirm his name and age for the brief five-minute hearing, but did not enter a plea.

A court sketch of Mason Greenwood appearing in the dock at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on October 17 with security on charges of attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault. All three charges related to the same woman and have all been dropped by the CPS today.

Greenwood, 21, arrived at court in November over the now dropped charges of attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour

Today Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said: ‘Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

‘The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

‘Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.

‘I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them. An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.

‘If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don’t let this case put you off asking for help.’

Source: Read Full Article