11-year-old girl claims her iPhone exploded and Apple is investigating

An 11-year-old girl has claimed her iPhone spontaneously caught fire while she was playing with it at her home in California.

Kayla Ramos said she was in her sisters’ bedroom when she saw sparks flying from the gadget and threw it across the room.

‘I was sitting down, and I had my phone in my hand and then I saw sparks flying everywhere and I just threw it on a blanket,’ she told ABC News in Bakersfield, California.

According to Kayla, the smouldering phone then burned through the blanket.

‘I was right here on the bed and the phone managed to burn through this blanket and make these holes,’ she said.

Kayla said that she used her iPhone mostly for watching YouTube videos and would occasionally let her siblings play with it.

Kayla’s mum, Maria Adata, explained to local media that she called Apple next day to tell the company what had happened. She was told to send pictures of the device to customer support and to send the damaged unit back to the tech giant.

‘My child could have been caught on fire and she could have been hurt more and I am glad she’s ok,’ Maria told ABC. She went on to say that Apple will be sending out a new phone and investigating the incident. The company hasn’t made any official comments on the case yet.

While Apple has in the past said that certain things may cause an iPhone to overheat – like using unauthorised charging cables – Ramos’ family said that didn’t apply in this case.

This isn’t the first time an iPhone has caught fire but the incidents are isolated. Samsung, meanwhile, had to recall all its Galaxy Note 7 handsets in 2016 because a battery fault caused many to explode.

Source: Read Full Article