Bungling doctor mistakenly amputates patient’s PENIS after wrongly diagnosing him with a tumour
- Surgeon performed operation at San Donato Hospital in Arezzo in 2018
- Now, the patient in his 60s is seeking compensation over the botched operation
A bungling urologist is under investigation for mistakenly amputating a patient’s penis after he wrongly diagnosed him with a tumour.
The 30-year-old surgeon is accused of causing serious injury to the unnamed patient from the municipality of Arezzo, in Italy’s Tuscany region.
He performed the operation at San Donato Hospital in Arezzo on November 13, 2018.
This was after incorrectly diagnosing the patient, who is believed to be in his late sixties, a month earlier.
The procedure was carried out without hitch, but during analysis of the amputated member, it quickly transpired that there was no tumour.
A bungling urologist is under investigation for mistakenly amputating a patient’s penis after he wrongly diagnosed him with a tumour. The 30-year-old surgeon is accused of causing serious injury to the unnamed patient during an operation he performed at San Donato Hospital in Arezzo (pictured, file photo) on November 13, 2018
The devastated patient is now seeking compensation from the bungling medic over the mutilation.
The case has a preliminary court hearing scheduled for March 9 in Arezzo.
A similar case was reported in France in December last year, after a series of errors resulted in the ‘total removal’ of a man’s penis at the Nantes University Hospital.
The man, reported to be in his 30s, said the surgery left him with just his testicles and ‘no feeling’ where his member once was.
‘I have hatred towards this doctor who did not listen to me,’ the unidentified victim told local news publication Francebleu. ‘He played Russian roulette with me!’
He told the news site: I’m really devastated and it’s really shameful.’ He said after the surgery ‘inside I knew it. It was either death or that. And indeed he had removed everything. He had just left the testicles and had cut at the base.’
The Frenchman’s lawyer was initially hoping to win his client 1 million euros, by local reports said he was eventually awarded 62,000 euros (£55k) in damages.
Going further back, in a similar case in 2003, an American man went into surgery for cancer. But when he came around, his penis and testicles were gone.
Speaking at the time, then-67-year-old Hurshell Ralls said his wife was the one to break the news to him once he woke up.
‘My wife had to hold my hand in the bed there. And she said “Honey it’s over. They got all the cancer.” And she waited a few minutes and then said ‘But they had to remove your penis.’ And I was one mad dude, you know,’ he said.
The doctors in the US state of Texas never warned him or his wife of the potential outcome before he went into surgery, he said.
Mr Ralls went on to file a civil suit seeking $5 million. The case was eventually settled but reports from the time were unclear how much he was given for the harm.
Source: Read Full Article